Forums
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: Floryn, BoB-Antispam
Author Post
Drungly
Tue Sep 06 2011, 11:06AM
Registered Member #129
Main Class: Tempest of Set
Yep.. we'll have to go back and beat it again once they change it.
cynara
Wed Sep 21 2011, 01:46PM
Officer
Registered Member #15
Main Class: Guardian
Sodabeh encounter after 3.0.5

Differences compared to the original version:

- The crabs and boss are immune to stuns.
- The add crabs don't generate any AA xp when killed.
- We haven't killed the boss yet so I don't know if there have been any changes to what she drops.

Basically unless the place is nerfed again, it will be as pointless and deserted as T'ian'an District.

Difference between normal and hard mode

We forgot to trigger HM on the last try, so we ended up doing most of the normal mode (got the boss to approx. 50%) and were able to observe the differences:

- The add crabs don't heal themselves.
- The boss doesn't cast the ruin and the Tormenting Shell Shock.

Tactics for the add crabs

The mechanics of the adds aren't really changed, but our tactic needs to adapt to the fact that they can't be stunned any more. In particular, it is extremely important to prevent the adds from becoming black.

- Initially they are both blue; after approx. 5 sec one of them turns red.

- After that, color changes (blue <-> red) come every 37-42 sec.

- Whenever a crab changes color from blue to red or vice versa, it also selects a random player as a target (which doesn't show as the target's target on the GUI) and goes to hit that player; until it hits him, it won't change back (e.g. to its former tank) no matter what the former tank tries to do to get its attention.

- If, in the course of coming to that new random target, the crabs come close together, they turn black. A black crab won't change back to its former colors until it hits it target once, even if by that time you move the crabs apart again. A hit from the black crab has a very good chance of oneshotting a squishie.

So how to prevent the crabs from becoming black?

- One tank is kiting the red crab far from the rest of the team, meanwhile the other people are tanking and spanking the blue crab.

- When the crabs switch colors, the tank on the ex-blue (now red) crab starts kiting it, the tank on the ex-red (now blue) crab starts tanking it, and the others run from the now-red to the now-blue crab. The idea of this is to ensure that:

- - The now-red crab has selected a random target and since 5 people were standing next to it, the random target is most likely one of them, so the now-red crab will hit that person and will then be content to go back to its tank (who will now begin kiting it).

- - The now-blue crab has selected a random target and this is most likely one of the people that were on the now-red crab. The now-blue crab starts running to this random target, but since all those people are now running towards the now-blue crab, they will meet somewhere in the middle, which will prevent the now-blue crab from coming too close to the now-red crab. Thus the crabs won't turn black.

- The crabs can be rooted, and should be rooted when their colors change.

- Additionally, if one crab is killed, the other one turns black. A black crab can't be tanked for any length of time since it hits too hard; since they can't be stunned any more, this means that the DPS on the crabs should take care not to kill one until the other one is also very low on health.

- The crabs will occasionally heal (typical green buff icon); in my impression it is sometimes the Firstborn that heals, sometimes the Secondborn, but never both in the same fight. The rogue should remove heals regularly (even while the crab is being kited), otherwise it will be difficult to ensure that both crabs are low on health at some point (so that when one is killed, the other one can be killed as well).

- The Necrotic Death stacking debuff and snare can still be removed by doubletapping to the side.

Tactics for the boss

We only had one good try on the boss, so I'm not yet sure what the right tactics are. She can certainly not be stunned any more. Her aggro seemed to be switching around in a very uncontrollable way (beyond what you would expect even considering the fact that some of her spells were always going for a random target, such as Shell Shock). Not being able to interrupt Necrotic Gaze shouldn't be a problem since we can use doubletap to the side to remove the resulting debuff.

[ Edited Thu Sep 22 2011, 01:56AM ]
Akha
Wed Sep 21 2011, 03:18PM
Evil Puppy
Registered Member #13
Main Class: Necromancer
cynara wrote ...

Basically unless the place is nerfed again, it will be as pointless and deserted as T'ian'an District.

It is a shame, indeed. But then the game is full of instances people don't bother to go into, because the reward is not worth the time, so we shouldn't be surprised with the turn of events.
cynara
Thu Sep 22 2011, 07:52AM
Officer
Registered Member #15
Here's a very interesting post from the TL forum:

Ophyra wrote ...

Let's say you have a group consisting of:
-DT
-Guard
-ToS
-PoM
-HoX
-any rogue

You divide the group into two 3-man minigroups.
For example: DT,PoM,Hox (firstborn) and Guard,ToS,any rogue (secondborn)

Crabs care only about the 1st and 2nd on aggro table.
You position 2 minigroups at 2 crab spawning points.

Now, focusing on firstborn group (same for secondborn,so i won't be mentioning it specifically),
as soon as crab spawns hox does dmg and gets aggro, DT does few white hits to get on aggro table,
PoM just heals.HoX keeps doing dmg to stay at the top of aggro,with DT being the 2nd on list,and PoM 3rd.

Since crab is in 'blue' form,HoX can tank it without any problem.
When crab changes to 'red' form it will automatically go to 2nd on aggro
list, in our case that's the DT.He starts combos,uses aggro tools,HoX just does some little dmg,nothing much,healer still only heals.

Crab goes into 'blue' again,and turns to HoX, who tanks again and does some dmg to stay at the top,DT once again goes for white hits only.

As the crab with more HP will get healed,dps needs to be balanced between the 2 crabs (keeping them in ~10% difference).They will NEVER change to someone else,and there is no need for stuns at all,but they can be used in red form to help out if needed.

As soon as one crab is dead, just kill the other one,which will be fast since it is already near dead.You can pretty much tank them where they spawn.

In conclusion: no danger of them meeting,no stuns needed.

This might explain why red crabs were coming back to Firefenixs again and again in our group last night.

[ Edited Thu Sep 22 2011, 08:13AM ]
Drungly
Thu Sep 22 2011, 07:57AM
Registered Member #129
Interesting yeah.. I think I can tank the blue form on my ToS. So there goes the "we need a HoX" theory Saves you assigning a third class as well.

EDIT: I just realized that the kited crab was always going for me since the healing puts me as second on the aggro list.

[ Edited Thu Sep 22 2011, 08:00AM ]
Akha
Thu Sep 22 2011, 08:10AM
Evil Puppy
Registered Member #13
Main Class: Necromancer
Tbh I liked the fight with 'stuns' more - not because it was easier (cuz it really was not), but because people had to communicate on vent and stay focused during the fight.

Now it is just another omg-I-am-bored-what's-the-point-lets-go-Ai-or-KK instance.
cynara
Thu Sep 22 2011, 08:15AM
Officer
Registered Member #15
Well, Drungly, I don't think the post I quoted meant to say that you need a HoX, he was simply using as an example the group with which he has done the fight, and they happened to have a HoX.

Considering that the blue buff tooltip says "-100% damage", I would imagine that pretty much anyone can tank a blue crab.

I don't find the fight more boring in this new version, but I do find it more frustrating and easier to wipe on.

[ Edited Thu Sep 22 2011, 08:16AM ]
Kishara
Thu Sep 22 2011, 12:31PM

Akha wrote ...

Tbh I liked the fight with 'stuns' more - not because it was easier (cuz it really was not), but because people had to communicate on vent and stay focused during the fight.

Now it is just another omg-I-am-bored-what's-the-point-lets-go-Ai-or-KK instance.

i agree, it was much more team play needed with the "unintended" way than the fight is now
Alarith
Fri Oct 07 2011, 08:48AM
Registered Member #376
I'd like to give it a try again since apparently Sodabeh can be silenced and the torment can be removed with BS SF (mages are lazy and UC mechanic is retarded), it should be doable with the right speced group for max. silence, let's say: guard, conq, tos, bs, sin, hox
cynara
Wed Dec 14 2011, 03:15PM
Officer
Registered Member #15
Good news, the Sodabeh encounter has been nerfed a little in the 3.1 patch, so that it's now challenging but doable. I updated the original post with an updated tactic for this encounter. She also drops the quest item (lock of hair) in the HM now.

Apparently some people were struggling with various bugs in this fight (link) but it worked fine when we tried it (we killed her 3 times tonight actually).

[ Edited Wed Dec 14 2011, 03:17PM ]
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Super Moderator, Member

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF
COPYRIGHT © 2008-2017 FLORYN. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
Render time: 0.1208 sec, 0.0129 of that for queries. DB queries: 76. Memory Usage: 2,962kB